The award-winning Squaw Valley Chapel was built in 1959 for the Protestant athletes and attendees of the 1960 Winter Olympics held in this magnificent valley dominated by the crest of the High Sierra. Squaw Valley Chapel is one of the few remaining original buildings from that period. The Church maintained a ministry in the valley from 1960 to 1972, and then closed its doors and fell into disrepair.
Beginning in June of 1994, Reverend Guthrie Swartz and his wife, Betty, gathered a hardy group of volunteers, and the Chapel was cleaned, repaired and re-opened for worship. A local congregation of the United Church of Christ was formed in the fall of 1994. After overcoming many obstacles, the property was purchased in August 1996 by the local congregation.
In 2003, we completed a total restoration of kitchen, bathrooms and banquet room. In 2010, the stained glass was restored to complete the renovation of the sanctuary, and lighting was installed for evening concerts.
Squaw Valley Chapel embraces its Olympic heritage and continues it through the kind donations of Olympic memorabilia by members and friends.
This historic Chapel has become popular for both indoor and outdoor weddings, group retreats, art workshops, special events, baptisms and memorial services, and thousands have worshiped in the inspiring sanctuary that is open to all faiths.